Thursday 22 January 2015

Shit Happens - Learning to Drive

Having recently turned sixteen, Miss Marvellous went about sitting the test for her Learner’s Permit, which she successfully obtained, of course.  Unfortunately, acquiring it so close to Christmas, both the Captain and I were exceedingly busy and unable to take her out on her first lesson so it was decided that we would wait until our arrival at our holiday destination in Bright; located in the Alpine region of Victoria.  As it turns out, this was a great decision as the surrounding towns have quiet backstreets, rural roads, rural highways and lots of quiet neighbourhoods for her to learn.

Take into account that Miss Marvellous has only sat in the driver’s seat of a car with an instructor and two other students for mere minutes, at a school arranged ‘Driving Education’ excursion.  There was silence in the backseat as the girls gripped their armrests in fear when Miss Marvellous accelerated and braked abruptly.  The Instructor stated with a grim smile "the speed that thrills is the speed that kills".  She returned home from this experience to relay that she was sure the other students and the instructor had mild whiplash due to the seconds spent in the car with her at the wheel.  This encounter had amounted to nigh on nil experience.

The Captain announced decisively one morning that it was time for Miss Marvellous to commence her learning.  Instead of driving Miss Marvellous to a quiet street to get acquainted with the car; with steering, braking, accelerating, the location of the instruments etc, The Captain, in his infinite wisdom, chose to tell her the basics (check your seat position, the angle of the mirrors, remove the handbrake, indicate and check for cars etc) and directed her to drive out of the caravan car park straight out onto a rural main road with a speed limit of 100km/hr.  The poor girl over-steered the car into some bushes, accelerated too slowly for such a big road with a high speed limit and as she braked to negotiate the roundabout at the end of the road, didn’t quite brake fast enough which had The Captain exclaiming “brake!” as he grasped the Jesus bar above his door. He directed her to return back to the caravan park again.  When they walked in, Miss Marvellous announced that she had tried to kill them both and The Captain, with his hand on his erratically beating heart mumbled that he had quite a fright as she didn’t brake early enough.  Well, derr, that would be the ‘no experience’ part coming into play.  Upon hearing where he had directed her, I almost spat my coffee across the table.  I was horrified that this had been her first experience and said as much.  The Captain executed an eye roll worthy of an exasperated teenager and condescendingly asked “Well, where would you have taken her then?”  I  commented that I would probably have taken her to the quiet backstreets of the town nearby and let her get used to steering, accelerating and braking first before I threw her to the wolves!  The Captain reluctantly agreed that in hindsight, this would have been a better introduction to driving.  You think?

The following day he did just that; taking her to a quiet country road to allow her to become accustomed to accelerating and braking and knowing when to start braking etc.  I announced that I would take the next lesson.  I asked Miss Marvellous where her father had taken her and took her to the same place.  She drove up and down the road, stopping and indicating and turning around.  She was driving really well so I swapped seats and drove to a nearby new estate with a court and driveways but no houses were built just yet.  Here I taught her to negotiate turning around in a driveway, how to hug the curb when turning tightly in a court and then I took her back to that road for another trip up and down. 

The Captain took her the following day to another country road but this one had the odd car go up and down and was good experience with sharing the road and negotiating a single lane bridge.  The day after that I took her again and this time after a trip up and down both of the roads her father had taken her on,  I asked her if she would like to drive home and she did!  Having the confidence of controlling the car she entered streets with traffic and did a sterling job of not freaking out; I noted she had loosened her ‘death grip’ on the steering wheel – an excellent indication of her how far her confidence had progressed.  The only negative was that my legs were sore from pushing them hard into the floor on my side as I braked and accelerated for her and I’m reasonably sure my pelvic floor muscles got a decent workout too.  It’s quite frightening being on the other side and calmly issuing directives with absolutely no control over the vehicle.  .

I was really hoping it would be quite a while before we encountered the arseholes who are completely intolerant of new drivers but unfortunately, our first one came on her sixth day out.  This time I had mapped out a route for her with included main roads and small stints on the highways and then the back roads etc which we completed in a loop.  On one of our trips around, and as Miss Marvellous was waiting on the main road to turn right into a back street, a cantankerous old bastard pulled right up her arse and sat on the horn.  I was so angry with him; horrified actually that the stupid old prick would terrorise a young person learning to drive.  I waited for him to slowly drive past, still sitting on the horn and glaring at us, then I put my head out of the window (almost to the waist I might add) and screamed on top of my voice “She’s a LEARNER!!!!”.  The stupid old fart continued to slowly pass with his wrinkled old mouth puckered up so I curled a lip Billy Idol style and gave him the two fisted bump together ‘get fucked’ gesture from the TV sitcom ‘Friends’.  What I really wanted to do was to get out of the car and bash the fucker to death with whatever was handy…a stick, a pole…his WIFE!  Stupid old prick.  If I had a voodoo doll handy it would have had about sixty pins sticking out of it’s arse a few in it’s throat for good measure.  Such is the fury of a protective mother.

Miss Marvellous continued to wait patiently for a gazillion cars to go by then turned carefully into the street.  Trying desperately to get my rage under control, I started to babble about everything and nothing, attempting to quell my indignant ire until we were safely at the new estate where I asked Miss Marvellous to pull over.  I then exited the vehicle and commenced to heavy breathe and execute moves like Peter Garrett in his ‘Midnight Oil’ days to calm myself enough to climb back in the car and continue calmly with the lesson.  I asked Miss Marvellous if she would like to stop and go home or do another loop and the trooper that she is, she opted to go again…right back out onto that road.

By the time we made it home I was battling a rage induced migraine headache, which took 5km of fast pace walking and about seven text messages to dispel.  I continue to have grand ideas about how Karma would repay the old bastard’s behaviour in spades.



Doona

No comments:

Post a Comment